Newton Draws Art

Even at a close glance, the two images above look the same. The image on the left is Lauren’s drawing of “Twiggy,” an English model, actress, and singer. The image on the right is a photograph of her. Photo courtesy of Lauren Newton ’18.

Samuel Kim, News/Perspectives Section Editor

Sophomore, JV cheerleader, singer, and actor all describe Lauren Newton ’18. But none of those descriptors embody Newton as much as “drawer” does.

She participates in the annual fall play, the musical every spring, and the JV cheer team during the fall and winter. However, these are not the things that Newton is best known for; it is her passion and talent for drawing that have put this sophomore on everyone’s mind.

Newton has been drawing ever since she was little. She initially drew for fun, but kept practicing and eventually became very skilled. She never took any art lessons outside of school, nor is she enrolled in an arts class at school. Once, when her mother saw one drawing of Lauren’s, she asked her to draw a portrait of her with her brothers. Lauren’s mother was very happy with the result, and told everybody about Lauren’s talent. News of Newton spread, and now, she is often commissioned to draw all sorts of drawings and paintings, from wedding invitation cards to holiday cards. Even the local magazine for Colonial-Park featured Newton on their June edition for their “Young Achiever” feature.

Newton has many photos on her Instagram account for her art, “laurenewtonart.” There, you can view just a slice of what Newton does. You can also direct message her account and request a portrait.

“I just really like drawing a lot. I love to draw babies and eyes, but I mostly draw people. I just started using color, so it’s fun to experiment with that,” Newton said.

Newton is not sure if she wants to pursue a career just in art, but she wants to keep on drawing.

“I don’t know if I am considering a career, but I definitely want to continue drawing because I love it,” Newton said.