Don’t Watch “Blonde”

Madeline Mehall

Students watch “Blonde” on their laptops during their free periods.

Madeline Mehall, Life and Arts Editor

Glitz, Glamour, and a 50’s Icon, Marilyn Monroe is all of these things, and Netflix just released a new fictionalized biographical drama “Blonde,” all about Monroe’s life and the events that shaped her to become the Marilyn we know and love. It also gives us a look into how so many parts of her life were tragic. The movie just hit their top 10 list for this week. 

Monore was born June 1, 1926, in Los Angeles, and became an icon. She was known for her blonde hair and beauty. She starred in many movies from 1948 until her death in 1962.

The new movie starts off with scenes of Monroe and her mother escaping a fire in the Hollywood Hills; from there, we see her tragic childhood, from being abused and then dropped off at an orphanage. We see her mother admitted to a  mental hospital, where she spent the duration of her life. 

Many scenes depict Monroe being taken advantage of by the men in the filmmaking/movie industry.

Throughout the movie, Monroe is trying to figure out who her father is; she has seen pictures of him her whole life but never has met him. It really shows her sadness that she doesn’t have a father and also how she hopes that with her fame, she will find him. 

The movie is based on Joyce Carol Oates’s bestselling book by the same name “Blonde,” which was released in 2000. The film has been highly controversial because of its cast and the scenes that they are re-enacting. It is the first NC-17 film to be released on a streaming service. 

The role of Marilyn is played by Ana de Armas, a Spanish/Cuban actress. I think she depicts Monroe really well and captures her charisma. 

The movie is a bit intense for my liking and it makes me wonder how dramatized it is compared to real-life events. I also wonder what parts are true and what parts the directors came up with. I think the NC-17 is definitely fitting based on some of the scenes shown. 

Mariel Brumely ’25 also had mixed feelings about the movie “It was kind of intense and definitely made me see Marilyn in a different way”

The movie really made me wonder, what was the true story of Marilyn Monroe?