Wednesday’s Child is Full of Woe

Gigi Schueneman, Reporter

You’ve seen the iconic dance. You’ve seen the Tiktok edits. You’ve seen the Golden Globe nominations. Hopefully, you’ve seen “Wednesday.” If not, let me convince you.

The Netflix series, which was released on November 23, 2022 (a Wednesday, of course), has taken the world by storm. “Wednesday” has now surpassed “Stranger Things” as the highest viewed english-speaking TV series with a whopping 341 million viewing hours within a week of its release. Jenna Ortega, who plays the main character, Wednesday, gained 20 million followers on Instagram within just a few days.

The show stars Catherine Zeta-Jones as Mortica Addams, Luis Guzmàn as Gomez Addams, and Gwendoline Christie as Principal Larissa Weems. It also features Christina Ricci, who played Wednesday in “The Addams Family” and “Addams Family Values.” Her character is Ms. Thornhill, the only “normie” member of the Nevermore staff. “Normie” is the term used to describe someone without superhuman abilities.

The TV series begins when Wednesday Addams (Jenna Ortega) is expelled from her eighth school in one year, and her parents send her to Nevermore Academy (the school that they both attended). Reluctant at first, Wednesday has trouble making friends. She has the opposite problem with making enemies.

When strange things begin to occur, some of which involve her parents, her teachers, and even her friends, she is eager to investigate. Despite her friends’, principal’s, and therapist’s pleas, she continues to put herself and her friends in danger, guided only by hope for some answers.

“Wednesday was a mystical, gothic, and alluring watch,” Ashton Theesfeld ‘26 said.

Throughout the season, she builds unexpected relationships, discovers new hobbies, and narrowly escapes murder, many, many times. Despite her hostile nature, the students at Nevermore seem to be naturally drawn to her.

I, however, was not.

While, of course, I regularly peruse Netflix’s Instagram account, desperately hoping for new “behind the scenes” videos, cast interviews, or updates on what Jenna Ortega is wearing to the latest awards show, I was not a big fan of her character.

I admired Wednesday’s individuality and self-sufficiency, but I felt that these qualities disconnected me from her. I related much more to Wednesday’s bubbly roommate, Enid Sinclair (Emma Myers). 

Enid is the exact opposite of Wednesday. She decorates her room, and herself, in bright colors and sparkles, a perfect match for her optimistic attitude. She is my favorite character. 

I also like Xavier Thorpe (Percy Hynes-White), one of the connections in Wednesday’s love triangle. I won’t spill too much, but just be aware that things are heated between Xavier and Tyler Galpin (Hunter Doohan), the other member.

Nonetheless, Wednesday is much too busy solving crimes and finding psychopathic monsters to focus on either of the boys. 

“‘Wednesday’ is a wonderful show, and I looked forward to watching it every night,” Bailey Flynn ‘26 said.

Sadly, Lisa Loring, the original Wednesday Addams, just passed away on January 28th, 2023.

I had so many questions by the eighth and final episode, and I didn’t know how they could possibly be solved in just over an hour. Thankfully, they all were. I loved the way that the season ended, cliffhanger and all, and I can’t wait for the just-announced season two, which should be coming out in 2024. Filming has already begun, and if you are wondering if I have plans the day the second season comes out….yes, yes I do.