Round Up The Rodeo With Country Day

Wagon+Barrel+Racing+in+Dickies+Arena+at+the+Fort+Worth+Stock+Show+and+Rodeo.+

Lainey Liberto '25

Wagon Barrel Racing in Dickies Arena at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo.

Lainey Liberto, Social Media Editor

Every night from January 13 through February 4, Dickies Arena held the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. The rodeo had been held at the Will Rogers Coliseum since 1896, but was moved to Dickies Arena in January 2020. 

The Rodeo was 22 days long and even went through the week long snowstorm that went through Fort Worth. The rodeo was held at 7:30 p.m. most nights and was occasionally at 11:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m. for a matinee.  

“I went to the rodeo a lot with my family and friends this year,” Sloan Howard ‘25 said. “It was always a fun thing to do on a weekend or even a weeknight when I didn’t have a lot of homework to do.” 

The arena during the national anthem at the beginning of the rodeo. (Lainey Liberto ’25)

The first two nights of the rodeo were the “Best of the West” Ranch Rodeo. The next two nights were the “Best of Mexico Celebration” and “The Cowboys of Color Rodeo.” Following those nights, “Bulls Night Out Extreme Bull Riding” is two nights where it is just bull riding in the arena. From January 20 to February 1,, every night was the “ProRodeo Tournament” that led up to the semi finals. February 3 was the semi finals that lead into the finals the next night. All of the finalists throughout the ProRodeo Tournament come back to the finals for their last ride. 

“My favorite part of the rodeo is the bull riding because it’s a surprise every night,” Jack Homan ‘25 said.

On the “Cowboys of Color” Rodeo, the events of the night included Ranch Bronc Riding, Steer Wrestling, Tie-Down Roping, Bull Riding, and Junior Bull Riding. 

Bulls Night Out was specifically for bull riding only for all of the cowboys and many junior cowboys.

During the ProRodeo Tournament nights, the events consist of: Steer Wrestling, Breakaway Roping, Saddle Bronc Riding, Tie-Down Roping, Team Roping, Barrel Racing, and Bull Riding. 

The night of the finals, all of the finalists return to Dickies and participate in their event that they qualified for.  

The horses moving to their positions for the nation anthem. (Lainey Liberto ’25)

“The rodeo was so fun, and it is my favorite time of the year,” Hudson Hatfield ‘25 said.  

Many of Country Day’s 4H club members show livestock at the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. Some students show chickens while some others show their own steer they have. 

“I am a part of Country Day’s 4H Club and rodeo season is a great time for all the members to come together and see all of our hard work,” Chappell Carter ‘25 said. 

Along with the rodeo, there is the Midway, Donkey and Mule Jumping, and livestock in every barn around getting ready to be shown. 

The Midway is a great way to end your night after going to the rodeo. The Midway offers enjoyable and fun rides to go on with friends along with many food options such as corn dogs, funnel cakes, turkey legs, drinks of all sorts, and deep fried oreos, snickers, and much more.

One of the many great rides at the Midway called the Zipper. (Lainey Liberto ’25)

“I love when it’s rodeo season and I’m so excited for it to come back to town next year,” Caroline Homan ‘23 said.