Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Ranting and Raving Over Second Semester

Senioritis+kicking+in+for+Hannah+Cheng+24+and+Marshall+Lehman+24+during+AP+Comparative+Government.+
Caroline Carmichael
Senioritis kicking in for Hannah Cheng ’24 and Marshall Lehman ’24 during AP Comparative Government.

Being a semester two senior is supposed to come with little to no pressure, but I, however, do not agree with this standard. So, here are my rants and raves. These are all reflective on my specific schedule, so they may not fit or apply to everyone. I’ll start with rants so that I can end on a positive note. 

Rants

The question: “Where are you going to college?” As someone who has no absolute clue at the beginning of February, please do not ask me this. I have not known all of senior year, and I most likely will not decide / will not announce where I am going till at least mid March if not early April. Not everyone has their life figured out – which if you do, congratulations, I’m jealous. I think it should be normalized that a lot of people just will not know for awhile, so in the future maybe ask someone their future plans post grad or literally anything else besides what my family calls “the million dollar question.” I’ve personally just resorted to saying, “I’d love to know the answer to that myself.” In other words, when I decide, the world will know. 

Okay, I understand the purpose of the homework log especially because I’ve definitely complained about copious amounts of homework. I just feel as though my senior workload is skewing the data for all of the other grades. I only do like fifteen minutes (if even) of homework a night. It could be that I don’t have homework, or that I’m just not giving it my full attention, but not everyone needs to know the answer. 

I love when you apply to a college, and they do what their admissions releases say they will do. So you, therefore, know when you will receive a decision. I, however, do not love when you apply to a college, and they either do not tell you when you will hear a decision or they do not follow what they say. To college admissions workers: please let your applicants know dates or else they will be stressing out. I will leave this rant at that because otherwise it could go on for pages.

Every weekend feels so incredibly short right now. I feel like I blink and it is over. I need more adequate time off. Give me some extra days, please. This girl is exhausted. 

The weather here in Fort Worth, Texas is bipolar. And, it is tripping me out. It literally snowed one day and the next thing you know it is 70 degrees and sunny. I’m genuinely wondering how this is okay. I personally love, and I mean absolutely love, the warmer weather so that can stay. I just want some consistency for once. 

Raves

I must say that not having very much homework is the best thing in the whole entire world. All year (except for now because of softball), I was getting home at 4 pm, and I would have about like 10-20 minutes of homework on the average day. Yes, I would have more on occasion. But, it gives me so much more free time and me time. It makes me less burnt out. It also boosts my mental health, so I love that added bonus too. 

I also do not have a problem with senioritis at all. I feel like it is just kind of a message to not take things too seriously, so I find it to be comforting. Sometimes your best work just is not that great, and in my opinion, senioritis makes that okay. This especially  goes for the try-hards and the academic weapons. I feel validated that I’ve been accepted into colleges, and I have some options. Therefore, if I’m not feeling the effort one day then I’m just not feeling the effort. Oh well. 

I love having off-campus privileges. Sage lunch does not sound good? Go get something else. Tired and have free next period? Go home and take a nap. It is such a blessing. Having free last? Amazing. Having free first? Even better. Having free around lunch? Even more time to go somewhere else. I could rave about this for days. This is such a blessed senior privilege. 

I will say the college sweatshirt privilege is also amazing. Most of my school approved sweatshirts are softball ones, and so I never had much variety in what I could wear. Now I get to wear whatever school I want whenever I want. Plus sweatshirts that aren’t an FWCD mass ordered sweatshirt are much (and I mean much) more comfy.