Adjusted Schedule Day on March 16 Helped Upper Schoolers Plan Ahead

Catherine Collins

Seniors learned to sort laundry from Mrs. Collins in their “Life Lessons” workshops this past Wednesday.

Nadeen Malik, Features Editor

Last Wednesday, Upper School students learned valuable life lessons and important information outside their regular classroom in an adjusted schedule day. The day consisted of different academic seminars, the ropes course, and a college life guide.

The freshmen started off their morning with a college tour of Texas Wesleyan University and an admissions presentation from the University. In the afternoon the freshmen went through three academic seminars, based on planning out their high school careers and thinking about the future. The first seminar, “Developing the Four-Year Plan,” was based on the requirements for graduation and course selection options for junior and senior year. The second and third seminar, “Looking Ahead” and “Texas Reality Check,” explored college information contributing to future academic interests and possibilities.

The afternoon session for freshmen and sophomores was one of the most productive non-class days we’ve ever offered.

— Lisa Wallace

The sophomores attended the same seminars as the freshmen; however, the seminars were more in depth on course selection and college information. In the afternoon all of the students visited two of the three museums: the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, the Amon Carter Museum of American Art, and the Kimbell Art Museum.

The juniors had the ropes course challenge and will build on leadership and teamwork skills.

Lastly the seniors went through a college guide on safety, tips, and skills. In the morning they attended a 45-minute presentation by Athena Strategies about personal safety and making good decisions in college. The female students and male students were split up to talk about self-defense. In the afternoon the seniors rotated through stations guiding them through college. The six stations included figuring out a college campus, roommates, laundry and other chores, changing tires and jump-starting a battery, and first aid. Various Upper School teachers explored all of these skills necessary to prepare our seniors for college.