Janie Garrett Leaves the Falcon Family to Spend Time with Her Own

Janie Garrett is sad to leave FWCD, but she is excited to spend time with her family.

Anna Hooton, Social Media Manager

“Compassionate, kind, and creative.” 

These are the adjectives that sixth grade geography teacher, Tara Westbrook, used to describe Janie Garrett. 

Garrett has been teaching fifth and sixth grade Spanish at FWCD for 21 years. Although the Middle School Spanish teacher enjoys teaching and learning from her students, she is going to retire after the 2019-2020 school year, so she can dedicate her time to her family.  

One of her daughters lives in Shanghai, one has recently returned from a decade abroad, and one lives in Mansfield, Texas. She wants to take care and spend time with her family during her retirement. 

I will miss my colleagues and the joy of students learning, chatting, and laughing—every day is new,” Garret said. 

When Westbrook began teaching at FWCD, Garrett was very welcoming towards her. Westbrook loved that Garrett would give good advice and could always make her smile. 

“She’s very inclusive,” Westbrook said.

Westbrook’s favorite memory of Garret was when she baked a peanut butter chocolate cake for her birthday. She loved the cake and the generous gesture.

“I will miss her happiness,” Westbrook said. 

Not only will her colleagues miss her cooking and baking, but also her support and comradery. Her dedication to teaching and supporting her students is admirable. 

Middle School Science teacher, Dan Bloch H’06, and his wife had the honor of hosting the Garretts as their Falcon Family.  

She is always there to offer help and supports the students in not only their Spanish studies but in their art and musical pursuits,” Bloch said. 

Alison Robinson, the Foreign Language Department Head, will miss Garrett because of her kindness and thoughtfulness. She appreciates Garrett’s ability to collaborate with her colleagues and her devotion towards her students. 

“Señora Garrett is always the first person to offer to make a meal for a family in need, volunteer to get something done in the department, or simply offer a smile or kind words of encouragement,” Robinson said.

One of her former advisees, Lauren Mitchell ‘23, learned to love Spanish in her class. Her favorite memory of Garrett is when she taught the capitals and countries song. 

“She made learning Spanish fun because of her bright and bubbly personality,” Mitchell said. 

Current advisee, Lola Wade ‘27, loves Garrett because she is kind and caring. 

“She connects with the students,” Wade said. 

Even though Garrett is retiring to spend time with her family, her school family will miss her. All of her students and colleagues will miss her warm and compassionate personality that has allowed her to impact many lives.