The Boy Who Had No Choice

Dracos+character+inspired+its+own+Lego+movie+character.+

Photo courtesy of Emmi via Creative Commons, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Draco’s character inspired its own Lego movie character.

Andrea Andrade, Reporter

Watching all eight of the Harry Potter movies, one might notice “The Golden Trio”: Harry, Hermonie, and Ron; however, you won’t really notice Draco. 

We all know “The boy who lived,” Harry Potter, had a hard past with his parents dying and him surviving You-Know-Who as well as being the only one surviving the killing curse. No one notices “The boy who had no choice,” Draco Malfoy. He is known as Potter’s bully, but he had a rough life living as a Malfoy. The only real people Draco had were his family. He had no friends (I wouldn’t say Crabbe and Goyle were his friends as Draco bossed them around). His family always believed that Purebloods were the superior blood type. They would look down on Mudbloods and Muggles, so Draco grew up around that type of people and beliefs. I believe that he deserved better and he was a good person deep down. 

On both Potter’s and Malfoy’s first day at Hogwarts, Malfoy presented himself and genuinely wanted to be his friend until Ron laughed at his name. Malfoy’s reaction toward Ron was harsh, but he was taught that the Weasley’s were blood traitors as they were Purebloods but liked Mudbloods and Muggles.

Rowling said on the Wizarding World website that “he [Draco] faithfully copied Lucius’s cold and contemptuous manner to everyone outside his inner circle.” Draco looked up to his father, who was a death eater, and he copied his mannerisms. He was rude because he did not know any better. Even then, he still had some good in his heart.

Draco’s first wand was a Hawthorn and Unicorn Hair, a 10 inch, springy wand. “Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts,” the Pottermore website said. Wands choose their owner, meaning that Draco, at heart, was pure.

When Lucius’s and some other death eaters were sent to Azkaban, Voldemort, oops, I mean You-Know-Who, started to treat the Malfoys badly. Draco decided to become a death eater to prove his family to the Dark Lord. Voldemort gave the task of killing Dumbledore to Draco. In The Half-Blood Prince, Draco disarmed Dumbledore but did not have the guts to kill him even though his life was on the line. Snape came and finished the job for him. In this movie, you also see Draco go from a confident boy to the complete opposite. He even had a panic attack in the school bathroom. The panic attack was a result  of seeing  Potter talking to a fellow Gryffindor, Katie Bell, who he accidentally cursed instead of Dumbledore. He thought she remembered something and started to panic.

In the last movie, there was a deleted scene where Draco throws his wand at Potter to assist him. This shows how, even though he was a death eater, he did not wish You-Know-Who to succeed in killing Potter or even succeed at all. It was deleted because of time problems, but I think it should have been kept as it really showed that Draco did not wish death to even his “enemy.” 

In The Battle of Hogwarts, when the students at Hogwarts were standing facing You-Know-Who and his followers, the Dark Lord calls for anyone that wants to join him. Lucius calls for Draco; he looks around and knows that he is not wanted, so he hesitantly goes towards his parents. At some point during the battle, Draco, Narcissa, and Lucius leave quickly.

After The Battle of Hogwarts, “Draco married the younger sister of a fellow Slytherin, Astoria Greengrass, who had gone through a similar (though less violent and frightening) conversion from pure-blood ideals to a more tolerant life view,” Rowling said on the Wizarding World website. Even though Draco’s parents did not approve of the “more tolerant life view” Draco now had, he and his wife raised Scorpius Malfoy to be a much better person. 

“Scorpius just wanted to be liked, to have a friend, to go to Hogwarts and study and be happy,” The Wizarding World Team said. Scorpius is the complete opposite of what Draco came off as in his time at Hogwarts, and this shows how different Astoria and Draco raised Scorpius, and how Draco changed his ways. 

There have been rumors of a new movie coming out for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, it has yet to be fully confirmed as one of the cast members, Daniel Radcliffe who plays Harry Potter says he will only be a part of it if J.K. Rowling stays away from it because of all the controversy with her as a person. We will have to wait and see if we see any redemption for Draco then.

With all of that information in mind when rewatching the movies, try to pay attention to Draco’s actions. I mean, I may or may not be biased, because I think he’s hot.