SIX Pulls Viewers Like King Henry VIII Pulled Women

Chelsy Beninate

US theater students enjoyed a performance of “SIX” at Winspear Opera House in Dallas.

Maya Marques and Gigi Schueneman

Six wives, one man… a fight no one expected.

Two divorced, two beheaded, one dead, and one survivor. Out of all six women, who suffered the most?

On December 6, 2022, a group of Fort Worth Country Day students and teachers embarked on a journey to Dallas to watch “SIX the Musical,” and everyone had a fantastic time. 

The musical took place at the Winspear Opera House in Dallas. The ride to the venue had everyone in the bus on their toes, anxious for what was to be expected.

GIGI

I thought that all of the performers were wonderful. They were so talented, and they all incorporated individual qualities into the ways that they portrayed their characters. 

Each wife had something unique to them. Catherine of Aragon (Gerianne Perez) started off strong, expressing her values and loyalty, to start the musical off. Anne Boleyn (Zan Berube) used her comedy and expressive dance moves to show off her tragic story. 

If I was being forced against my will to determine a favorite wife, because that is clearly a very plausible situation, I would have to choose Jane Seymour. Amina Faye was sentimental and genuine, while still interspersing humor among her sadness.

I also really enjoyed watching Anna of Cleves’ performance. Terica Marie’s excitement and energy radiated throughout the audience, making the experience altogether even more fun.

Nevertheless, all of the songs kept me hooked until the very end. 

The performance was dynamic and hard-hitting, and I learned a great deal about the lives of Henry VIII and each of his wives, not just from the informational pages in the Playbill, but also from the show itself.

“It was so much fun to see ‘Six’. I’ve been a huge fan of the show since Freshman year, and I love being able to go with a group of people who enjoy theater too,” Ava Scott ‘23 said.

MAYA

I thought that the performance was entertaining and well done, and I was laughing throughout the whole 80 minutes. The actors were talented and I appreciated how each actress personalized each character.

My favorite wife had to be Katherine Howard. From her funny commentary to her unique voice, I was captivated by how she was able to talk about a sad situation in such a funny way. Aline Mayagoitia was able to make Katherine Howard her own and entertain the crowd through her character’s pain.

Another favorite was Catherine Parr, better known as the “peacemaker” of the musical. The survivor of these SIX wives, Sydney Parra, was the strongest singer; she had a powerful song that wrapped up the musical beautifully.

While the musical was fun, the students from Fort Worth Country Day didn’t end the fun there. On the ride back to school, The students and faculty had fun while singing songs; students were challenged by teacher chaperones including Chelsy Beninate, Siousxie Easter, Nicole Masole, Lisa Wallace, Catherine Collins and Melanie Settle. From teachers (Wallace) rapping, and seniors breaking out into ballads, everyone ended the night having a lot of fun.

“The theater field trips provide students in the FWCD Theatre department a look at what it takes to be involved in the Musical Theatre world professionally,” Nic Medaris ‘23 said, “while also providing opportunities for people in the department to meet and to bond further through their love of the craft.” 

US Theater Director Siouxie Easter agrees.

These trips, generously funded by CAST [Creative Arts Students and Teachers] (spell out), provide a live theater experience for our Fine Arts students who, someday, may be on those professional stages themselves,” Easter said

It isn’t the first time that the school has planned this type of trip, but going to “SIX” was our first time seeing one of these offered shows, and they will be sure  to not miss the next one.

For the ones who missed an opportunity to watch “SIX” this time, the show is still open on Broadway, but if that is a little too far for you, you can always listen to the Cast Recording album.