Baron Lobstein Speaks to Upper School

Baron Lobstein ’89 addresses FWCD students.

Maya Marques, Reporter

When a  guest speaker came to Fort Worth Country Day. He spoke to the students about his job as an ambassador of Austria, his career to get to that position, and what inspired him to become an ambassador. As well as some opinions on the Ukraine and Russia war. 

Baron Lobstein ‘89 is a Fort Worth Country alumnus and he was the student body president of his class. 

He came to Fort Worth to talk to the Government classes specifically since they had been learning about Russia for a while.

His love of Russia began in his history class at FWCD during the annual assignment given from his teacher in which a research paper of a topic of the student’s choice could be written. Lobstein chose the American intervention in Russia during their Civil War. That is how it began. 

After this class Lobstein would further his understanding of Russia at Harvard University studying Russian and Soviet studies. 

Lobstein told the students some college stories and mentioned the important people with whom he studied, such as Fiona Hill, a well-known foreign affairs specialist.

Graduating from a Russian Program, Lobstein felt glad that he was able to work in a career other than teaching Russian.

Throughout Lobstein’s career, he has worked in Moscow, Russia; Beijing, China; Balkans, Serbia; and currently works in Vienna; Austria. Lobstein can also speak many languages because of his experience in these countries. He can speak Russian fluently, German moderately, Serbian to a basic level, and Chinese, although he has lost practice with the language. 

Lobstein said that his job consists of “representing America overseas.”

Other than international work, Lobstein worked in the United States Embassy in Russia under the Obama administration, in which he worked to strengthen the relationship between the United States and Russia. 

While working under the Obama administration, Lobstein said he had to essentially start a completely new life. This included getting a new phone number, email, and having to take on an incognito persona.

“It was fun, but it was also terrifying… I would recommend it,” Lobstein said.

Later in the presentation, Lobstein shared his opinions on the Russia and Ukraine conflict. 

Lobstein explained the cultural differences of Russia compared to Ukraine and how different, but also how similar, they are.

He shared the ways that the Russians were taught to think and how civilians are told to deal with the political complications in Russia.

“If you want to make a difference, forget about it because the government will squash you,” Lobstein said, in reference to the general population in Russia.

By the end of the presentation Lobstein asked for further questions and even offered to personally meet any who had any interest in this particular field of work. 

“It is a career anybody can get into,” Lobstein said.

After a round of questions, the students bid him farewell with a round of applause.

“I got a lot out of being able to interact with somebody who was actually at the front lines of the places that we’re studying,” Christopher Baker ‘23 said.