Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

FWCD Students Are iFlying Higher

FWCD Students Are iFlying Higher

Madeline – On Wednesday, April 3, the junior class went to the iFly in Hurst to experience what it is like to fly and to understand the physics of it all. In all of the junior physics classes, we have been learning about momentum, velocity, and more. All of these help us understand how iFly’s tube-like machine works and the physics behind it.
Madeline – As we got onto the bus to leave for iFly, many students were nervous but also excited. I had been to iFly three times before, so I knew what I was getting myself into. I had gone to several people’s birthday parties when we were little, so I told everyone how much fun it was and assured them it was not going to be scary. We checked in at the front desk, then all gathered around to hear the manager, Jermey, tell us all about iFly and the science behind their company.
“It was cool to learn how iFly worked and understand how we can fly there,” Jack Homan ’25 said.
The day was really fun and it was fun to learn about physics outside of the classroom. A few of the teachers flew too! It was fun to also spend time with our teachers outside of class and experience this with them!
Lainey- Jeremy welcomed us into iFly and gave us a presentation to calm our nerves. We then went over some rules and regulations to follow while in the tube. We were taught different positions and movements we should stay in while flying. We were then taken to the front and suited up into the correct equipment. All of the students were given a suit, a pair of goggles, a cap that held their hair, a pack of earplugs, and a helmet.
Lainey- After we were all suitably prepared we got in the tube and started to watch our classmates fly. I loved flying because it was a thrilling experience and was so different from anything else. I also paid for the high fly and that made my experience much more enjoyable because I was able to try something new and fly high.
“I have gone to iFly before but I really loved going to iFly this time with all my friends,” Reesie Packer ’25 said.
Maya- After that, the instructors put on a presentation in the wind tube. They showed us how weight and mass affected what is able to fly. The presentation included different types of balls, stuffed animals, and water. We guessed what would fly as they increased the pressure and the wind.
The instructors put on a show with plenty of flips and tricks. It was really entertaining to watch, especially because many of us struggled to do the simple flying. The show was a really fun way to end the day. Overall, I really enjoyed going to iFly and learned a lot through the experience.