Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Mardi Gras or Mardi Great?

Upper School Celebrates Mardi Gras
Lainey Liberto ’25
The Mardi Gras dance poster made by the student council.

Colorful lights shining, green, purple, and gold lights all around, music loud and entertaining, Mardi Gras costumes on many students, the third annual Mardi Gras dance occurred on Friday, March 1. The sophomore class representatives planned and organized the dance   

The dance started at 8 pm and ended at 10 pm. It was held in the commons and had decorations all around. The dance was also free. Eti Lois ’23 returned to FWCD to DJ for the Mardi Gras dance. 

The sophomore class president is Cal Neubauer ‘26 and the representatives are Andrew Lobo ‘26, Paxtyn McPeak ‘26, and Gigi Schueneman ‘26. 

“A lot of effort and time was put into the preparation of this dance, and I am excited that it worked out and people had fun,” Schueneman said.

The Commons had purple, gold, and green streamers hanging and fun Mardi Gras posters as well. The Student Council also made a poster about the dance. The poster was hung in the Upper School Commons.

All of the fun and colorful decorations hung around the commons in preparation for the dance. (Lainey Liberto ’25)

A dance floor was installed in the commons for all the students to dance on and have a wonderful night. 

The students were allowed to wear gold, purple, and green clothes and accessories with uniform bottoms to school on Friday. Many students wore colored t-shirts and had colorful beads and headbands.

“We are so excited to provide this opportunity to the students as another way to engage and help our school community grow closer,” Student Council sponsor Jennifer Giroir said. 

Carolina Zamorano ’25, US Science teacher John Cordell, Belle Xu ’24, Holland Link ’24, Ashlyn McPeak ’24, US Science teacher Stephen Dickey ’89, and US Science teacher Scarlett Sun enjoying their night at the dance. (Carolina Zamorano)

As a history teacher from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, this tradition of the Mardi Gras dance is important to Giroir.

“Since I cannot celebrate Mardi Gras in Louisiana anymore, I still get to celebrate something very dear to my family and a wonderful tradition,” Giroir said.

Fourteen French students traveled to Fort Worth last week and three students stayed with Country Day upper schoolers. The exchange students attended the dance and had a wonderful time.