Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcons Celebrate Homecoming

Jennifer Giroir
Student Council snaps a picture after having fun at the homecoming dance.

Homecoming. The only way this tradition could be more American would be if bald eagles were involved. I mean, honestly, a football game that almost every student, parent, and faculty member goes to. The stands a sea of red, white, blue, and cowboy boots. Floods of Instagram captions saying “round two!” “FNL,” and “fun weekend :).”

“[Homecoming is] so famous, and honestly this is one of the main reasons why many exchange students go to America, like Thanksgiving and prom,” Fantine Vincent, a former exchange student from France, said.

You might not be aware that the term “homecoming” was actually given to the football game where many of the school’s alumni would return to watch their alma mater play. The entire week leading up to the game was filled with fun activities for returned alumni, like a farewell ceremony to the Lower School, campus tours, and class reunions.

Now, all people recognize about homecoming are the “get ready with me” and “hoco” dress transition videos. Or perhaps, the 20-ton mums with more of everything than the everything bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s.

Fort Worth Country Day’s Homecoming dance was Saturday, October 21. The football game was the day before, and FWCD beat The Oakridge School 52-13. The dance took place outdoors near the Visual Arts Building and Moncrief Library, different from last year, when it was in the Upper School Commons.

I can attest to spending my ENTIRE free period cutting out individual temporary tattoos and blowing up dozens of balloons. (If I end up with lung cancer or a latex allergy, I’m suing.)

But luckily, it all paid off, and the decorations looked great.

The yellow and white balloons spilling out of a giant popcorn box, partnered with the color-coded stacks of cotton candy underneath a house with a red and white striped roof set the scene for the dance’s theme of “Carnival.”

The balloon animals hanging from the ceiling beams by a string of fishing wire were also a nice touch, at least if you didn’t think too much about it.

“Homecoming  is a very exciting experience. This being my second one, it was way more entertaining because I felt truly a part of the student body. Plus, I really liked my date,” Maya Marques ’26 said.

I was initially hesitant to accept the idea of an outdoor Homecoming, especially after realizing that I would have to spend two hours dancing “Footloose” and “Cha Cha Slide” in three inch Gianni Bini heels. On concrete.

But in reality, about 90% of the female population had changed into Golden Goose or Alexander McQueen shoes before even stepping on the makeshift dance floor. I opted for Uggs.

Eti Lois ‘’22 came back to DJ, and the playlist was great. There was Ice Spice, Taylor Swift, and of course the classic dance songs: the Macarena, “Wobble Baby,” and the Cha Cha Slide.

Overall, Homecoming 2023 was a great experience, and most everyone had a wonderful time, or so I think. I really liked the outdoor venue and think that we should consider it again in the future.

Now I suppose it’s time for me to start dress shopping for next year…