Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Listening to the “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl”

Gigi Schueneman
Olivia Rodrigo sings her hit single, “Vampire” for the Dallas crowd.

Missing the fantastic Spring Mardi Gras dance to go to the Olivia Rodrigo “Guts” concert was a “bad idea right?”

No, it was not. It was, of course, “brutal” telling Mrs. Giroir that I could not attend the dance that I, along with my other sophomore Student Council representatives, had spent weeks planning, and I definitely felt like a “traitor.”

This being said, nothing would make me “happier” than to tell you about the incredible experience I had at this performance.

A few days after I bought the tickets in September for the concert months later in March, I made the “logical” decision to start shopping for an outfit.

When I arrived at the American Airlines Center in Dallas on March 1, I felt a bit of “jealousy, jealousy” seeing all of the other spectators in their purple, sparkly, “lacy” outfits, so I was glad that I bought my shirt months in advance. I even saw a video of someone dressed as a “vampire.”

“Good 4 u” if a simple outfit from your closet is “enough for you,” but I cannot relate.

I don’t yet have my “drivers license,” so Courtney Comeaux ’26 and I drove with our moms to the venue. 

When we arrived at our seats I found myself experiencing “deja vu” from the only other stadium concert I have been to: Twenty One Pilots in 2018.

We saw the end of Chappell Roan’s opening performance, which began at 7:30 p.m., and then waited for about 15 minutes until Olivia sang her first song: “bad idea, right?” from her newest album “guts” that came out on September 9, 2023.

“Pretty isn’t pretty” after you’ve seen Olivia Rodrigo. Each of the five outfits she wore during the show were stunning, and I must add that we were wearing the same tights…not on purpose.

She sang 21 songs: 12 from “guts” and nine from her debut album, “sour,” which came out in May of 2021.

Her fifth song was “drivers license,” which came out in January of 2021 and skyrocketed her music career. Before this song came out she was a successful actress who had starred in “An American Girl: Grace Stirs up Success” in 2015, then as Paige on Disney’s “Bizaardvark,” and finally as Nini on “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.”

Olivia also sang an unreleased song called “obsessed,” which most of the stadium somehow knew, and we all sang “happy birthday” to one girl a few meters away from me in the balcony, which I’m sure felt like her “teenage dream.”

She played piano and guitar for a few songs, complete with a band composed of two guitar players, a bass player, a piano player, and a drummer, all of whom Olivia frequently interacted with during the performance.

I am a really big fan of Olivia Rodrigo, because during the hour-and-a-half long concert, she reminded us spectators that you can be an international superstar and still think that “love is embarrassing.”

She really is an “all-american” pop sensation, as the 27th most listened-to artist on Spotify at only 21 years old with 77 sold-out shows on her second world tour.

Olivia’s last performance in the US is in New York, NY on April 6, 2024, and then she will go to Europe, and then come back to America for a few more shows.

“The grudge” that I am holding for not being able to buy any merchandise is strong, but the hundreds of photos and videos in my phone are still great souvenirs.

My only complaint is that the cameraman didn’t pan towards the left balcony and video Comeaux and I in our adorable outfits when Olivia asked if there were any best friends in the audience. I’ll “get him back” for that.

When I came home that night my head felt like it was about to explode, and I was too tired to even bother “making the bed.”

So, in summation, missing the spring dance did feel like a crime, but I must say that it was my “favorite crime.”