FWCD Presented with Wilson Golden Football

Senior football captains Jack Sankary, Aaron Lax, and Austin Westermann with Patrick Jeffers 91.

Senior football captains Jack Sankary, Aaron Lax, and Austin Westermann with Patrick Jeffers ’91.

Alex Doswell, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In September of 2015, the National Football League started the Super Bowl High School Honor Roll. The program recognizes high schools and communities around the nation that “directly influenced Super Bowl history and impacted the game for the better.” These high schools and communities have been honored with a commemorative Wilson Golden Football for each player or head coach that received a degree from their respective high school and participated in a Super Bowl game during their career. Over two thousand high schools received Wilson Golden Footballs from nearly three thousand players and head coaches.

On January 11, Fort Worth Country Day received their very own Wilson Golden Football from FWCD alumnus and former NFL football player Patrick Jeffers ‘91.  

Jeffers came to FWCD in first grade and graduated with the Class of 1991. He then walked on to the football team at the University of Virginia for four years. At the end of his collegiate career, he was the fourth leading receiver in UVA history. In 1996, he entered the NFL draft and was picked in the fifth round by the Denver Broncos as a wide receiver. The following year, the Broncos made the Super Bowl XXXII Championship game. Jeffers also played for the Dallas Cowboys and the Carolina Panthers during his time in the NFL. He received the 1999 NFL Unsung Hero Award and the 2001 NFL Ed Block Courage Award.

Jeffers’ talents were also honored by his high school alma mater.

FWCD retired his Falcon football jersey in February of 1998, and FWCD also honored him with the Alumni Association Distinguished Alumnus award.

Jeffers came back to FWCD once again to present the Wilson Golden Football to all three divisions of the school in different ceremonies. At the Upper School ceremony, Jeffers presented the 2015-2016 senior varsity football captains, Jack Sankary, Aaron Lax, and Austin Westermann, with the Wilson Golden Football. Jeffers was accompanied by his parents, his wife, Christa, his four children, Walker, Brooks, Charlotte, and Weslee, and lastly, his former FWCD football coach, John Carter.

“Patrick wasn’t the best athlete as a freshman, but he became my franchise player by his senior year,” Carter said at the ceremony.

Jeffers credits FWCD for providing him with a well-rounded experience that fueled his success both on and off of the field. His dedication and drive has inspired many, including football captain and senior Jack Sankary.

“It felt great to represent the football team for one last time as a captain, but I was mostly inspired to meet an NFL football player and Super Bowl champion who came from the same background as myself,” Sankary said. “He is certainly a role model for me now.”

Jeffers is not only a role model on the field, but in his day-to-day life as well. He has worked with a multitude of different nonprofit organizations including the United Way, The Boys & Girls Club of America, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, Ed Block Courage House, Dell Children’s Hospital, and The Rise School of Austin. After retiring from the NFL, Jeffers went back to graduate school at the University of Virginia and received an MBA from the Darden School of Business. He is now a partner with New Waterloo, a hospitality and real estate development company based in Austin, where he now lives.