Training the Pain Away

Trainer+Stacy+helps+student+with+calf+injury.+

Trainer Stacy helps student with calf injury.

Rhea Alexander, Reporter

After practice, some of the athletes come into the training room and sit in the cold tub to loosen their muscles. While in the cold tub they have strange conversations and doubt the trainers are listening to them. They are. Such is the life of an athletic trainer. 

“One of the funniest moments is listening to seven football guys sitting in the cold tub talking,” Charlotte Bonnell ‘25 said.

There are five student athletic trainers and two full time professional athletic trainers, Stacy Bourne and Ed Chisholm. Isa, a senior, has been a student trainer for four years during the winter and spring season. Charlotte Comeaux has been a trainer for a year participating in all three seasons, and this past fall was Charlotte Bonnel’s first season.   

Trainer Responsibilities

“We are the backstage crew for the athletic department,” Charlotte Comeaux ‘24 said. 

The athletic trainers complete a range of activities that help the athletic department function. They refill the water cows, take care of blisters, write down athletes’ injuries, clean and maintain athletic equipment, and watch all sports events for both Middle and Upper School. 

“Athletic Trainers are responsible for the prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation of athletic injuries,” Edward Chisholm, head athletic trainer and assistant athletic director, said. 

In addition to physical injuries, the adult trainers help the entire athlete. 

“We recognize signs and symptoms for both mental and physical issues. It’s a wide range of things. We could help someone deal with anxiety, ” Stacy Bourne ‘02 said. “We are kind of a jack of all trades. We don’t treat the injury, we treat the person.” 

Student Trainers 

“The students are an extension of us,” Chisholm said. “They are our eyes and ears so we can spread out across campus.. I love having the students here. They lighten the mood and bring joy to the job.” 

Bourne also emphasized the importance of the student trainers. 

“They [student trainers] are critical, they make it possible for us to complete our jobs efficiently and effectively,” Bourne said. 

Time Commitment

The trainers are busy with the number of tasks they have to complete, so most of the student trainers note the time it takes to be an athletic trainer is their biggest struggle. 

“We are essentially staying three hours after everyone else per week and that is not including games,” Comeaux said. “[The time commitment] makes you learn the life skill of balancing extracurriculars and your work and things you want to do.” 

The Stories They Tell 

With all the responsibilities that the trainers have, they often make mistakes. 

Isa Rios ‘23 told a story about when she broke the golf cart. She said all the practices were finished and it was around six in the evening. The other trainers decided to accompany her as she put the water cows away. There were five people with seven water cows attached to the cart, when they were traveling up a hill. The cart could not handle all the weight and it caused the metal attached to the cows to bend and the cart began to make a strange noise. The trainers got off the cart, put the cows away, and agreed not to tell Chisholm. 

“Don’t tell Trainer Ed,” Rios said. 

If the trainers are not doing work, they are eating, hence their nickname, “Trash Pandas.” The trainers have a lot of late nights because they watch all the sports events; they often eat their dinner in the training room.

“Trainer Stacy [Bourne] calls us the trash pandas because we are always eating,” Rios said.

There is also a snack cabinet in the training room, which holds a lot of junk food that student trainers often snack on when they are relaxing in the training room. 

“I LOVE the snack cabinet,” Comeaux said. 

Being a Team 

The trainers are not a part of a specified team similar to other sports, but all of them stated that they feel like they can rely on the other student trainers. 

“We are a team,” Rios said, “We have a really strong bond, even though we are a bit sassy with each other.” 

Comeaux compared the team analogy further by saying that Bourne and Chisholm are the athletic trainer coaches. The professional trainers help the students learn from their mistakes and complete their tasks efficiently. 

“I feel like I have support when I need it from the trainers,” Comeaux said. 

With being a part of a team, the trainers feel a special connection with one another. 

“I have gotten really close to all the girls through the fun and difficult times,” Charlotte Bonnel ‘25 said. “My favorite moments are the small things like making pre-wrap bracelets and anklets.”  

Chisholm said he builds relationships with not only the trainers but also all the athletes. 

“Phenomenal moments are when I attend graduation and see kids I have worked with for 12 to 13 years graduate and cross the stage,” Chisholm said.