Abbott Elementary Is The Feel Good Show Of The Year

Abbott+Elementary+Hulu+home+screen+on+my+desk+in+the+Quill+classroom.+Photo+by+Megan+Magruder+23.+

Abbott Elementary Hulu home screen on my desk in the Quill classroom. Photo by Megan Magruder ’23.

Megan Magruder, Business/Advertising Editor

Have you been looking for a new show to binge? Well, I have one for you: Abbott Elementary. The show first premiered on December 7, 2021, and is currently in its second season. The first season swept in the 2021 Emmys, being nominated for seven awards and walking away with three wins. Abbott airs every Wednesday at 8 pm on Hulu, ABC, and Youtube TV. 

Abbott Elementary is about a group of teachers who teach at a low-income elementary school in the heart of Philadelphia, and it  follows them around on all of the adventures they get into, both in and out of the school day. The show is centered around Janine Teagues (played by Quinta Brunson) who is fresh out of college and embarking on her dream of being the best teacher she can be. Teagues, throughout the show, seeks guidance from veteran teachers: Barbara Howard who teaches Kindergarten (played by Sheryl Lee Ralph), and Melissa Schemmenti who teaches the second grade (played by Lisa Ann Walter). Teagues’ best teacher friend, Jacob Hill, who teaches sixth grade Social Studies (played by Chris Perfetti), is always there side-by-side with Teagues, as he is also new to the teaching world. A new teacher Gregory Eddie (played by Tyler James Williams) joins this rag-tag group of teachers at the start of season one. Of course, there has to be a wacky principal, Ava Coleman (played by Janelle James), who in every episode without fail does everything but her job. 

The show is filmed as a mockumentary, similar to “The Office,” “Parks and Recreation,” and “Modern Family.” A mockumentary is a comedy show that is shot as a documentary, including interviews with the characters. The characters frequently break the fourth wall. This style of filming makes the show feel as if you are right there with them during the school day. Throughout the series a camera follows all of the teachers around in the break-room and in the classroom to show the audience what a day in the life of an Abbott Elementary student really feels like. To follow a true mockumentary style, each of the characters is given a sit down interview after something comedic or dramatic happens in the show. 

Costume design is the key to having an authentic feel to any TV show or movie, and Abbott has the costume design down. The outfits that all of the teachers wear are what you and I would see a teacher wear on a day-to-day basis. From Teagues’ trendy patterned dresses and fun jean sweater looks, and Margaret’s classy put-together outfits, each of the character’s costumes match their personality. Principle Ava Coleman is always trying to be trendy and update with all of the latest dresses. Each episode she is dressed to the nines in designer tops and chic black pants. The costume designers on the show are part of the reason that the show is so successful and popular. 

The actors of the show are absolutely phenomenal, as they are tackling issues that teachers face every day such as lack of funding for essential needs in the classroom, dealing with difficult parents, school policies, and the teacher shortage. Abbott shows the struggles of teachers across the country. 

“Abbott Elementary” is one of the best feel-good sitcoms that has ever been on television. From the costume designs, acting, scenery, and plot, this show is one of the best that has ever graced the TV screen. I would put “Abbott” up there with the likes of “The Office” and “New Girl.” Overall I would recommend this show to anyone who wants a feel-good funny show.