Teacher Feature Series: Dr. Brad Philipson

Michael Anderson, Reporter

Dr. Brad Philipson is the new Assistant Head of Academics at Fort Worth Country Day. He was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, and has lived in Florida and all over Texas. Philipson considers himself a nerd and loves to read. With a growing love and interest in music, he collects multiple records and enjoys the 60s and 70s styles of music above all other styles. Before getting into education, Philipson studied law and worked as a financial advisor for a few years.  Philipson had his first experience with teaching in graduate school, and this was where he realized his true passion for teaching.

“Teaching was the first job that brought a smile to my face,” Philipson said.

Teaching was the first job that brought a smile to my face.

— Dr. Brad Philipson

Before coming to Country Day, Philipson taught at Metairie Park Country Day School in New Orleans, a public school in rural Florida, and The Casady School in Oklahoma City. He taught at Metairie Park because he grew up in New Orleans, but he then left because he decided he wanted a change.  Philipson did not enjoy living in rural Florida, so he sought other opportunities elsewhere when he decided it was not for him.  When he was teaching at Casady, he heard about FWCD and came to visit for sporting events. He always loved Fort Worth and had heard great things about FWCD. Now a new faculty member at FWCD, Philipson’s main role is to help the teachers teach and make sure that everything you learn builds on itself.  For example, his goal is to help all students and teachers have something you learn in fifth grade build on something you learned in fourth grade, and have that be a foundation for something you will learn in sixth grade. Philipson is a huge asset to FWCD, and the school is very grateful for his contributions to the community so far and can’t wait to see what he has in store for his time at FWCD.