Teacher Feature Series: Andreanne Annis

Nate Wallace, Reporter

Adreanne Annis was born in Quebec, Canada.

In Canada, she dreamt of being a band director or a professional saxophonist. She began to learn English in the fifth grade and soon found her passion for new knowledge. In Canada, she went to Conservatoire de musique de Quèbec for her Bachelors in Music for the saxophone and Universal Laval for her Bachelors of Arts in music education. In Canada, she loves to ski, snowshoe, ice-fish with her son, hike, and watch hockey. Madame and her family go to the Valcartier Vacation Village where they can slide, snowmobile and dogsled. Her favorite Canadian foods are la blanquette de veau (veal stew), les cretons (pork pate spread), fondue, and maple sugar pie.   From being raised in Canada to living in Texas as an adult, there are many differences she has to encounter. She came to the United States in pursuit of the jazz dream she grew up on. Annis loves to travel and has been back to Canada after moving to the United States over 75 times. She taught band in the mid-west and followed her career to Texas. Madame’s family still lives on the east coast of Quebec, Canada. She Skypes them and even reads a book to her niece every Monday.   In Texas, Annis attended the University of North Texas for her Masters of Arts in French with a music minor. In Texas, she began teaching French in Mansfield and FWISD for seven years before being recruited to FWCD. In Texas, she is part of the Middle-Class band, which is made up of teachers at FWCD that started out as a fundraiser known as Friday Night Live. She has three kids: Natalie, Tanner and Kara all of whom are currently in high school.

Cross Country Skiing
Annis with her husband and three children skiing in Canada

Madame co-led two interdisciplinary days, Henry Hikes to Fitchburg and Earth Day. In Texas, she loves to eat hamburgers and sneaks back maple butter from her travels to Canada. In Texas, she goes to workshops in her free time seeking even more knowledge. She has a classroom that is a friendly atmosphere for kids to learn and hang out in during recess. “[Annis] is outgoing, excited, passionate about teaching, wants kids to succeed, but can be serious when needed,” Samuel DeRobertis ’18 said. In Texas, she runs puppet shows and makes her room look like Paris, France. She has taught at FWCD for 12 years in the middle school and is starting her thirteenth as a high school French teacher. In Texas, she likes to swim and bike and teach and travel and play her saxophone. In Texas, Madame Annis has established her career but her heart will always remain in Canada.