US Students Exhibit Their Commitment to Serve: Community Service Day 2015

Katie Anderson, Advertising Editor

Community Service Day has in the past been one of the more fun “special” days of school for all Upper School students. It gives students a chance to interact in an environment with people in need and to help in the bettering of their lives. Not only is this helpful to all of the organizations that FWCD touches, but it is personally a very rewarding experience.

“One of the reasons I enjoy community service day is because I love seeing the reactions people get when they see us walk through the door. They really appreciate our help, which makes me even prouder to do what I can to help out,” Whitney Kelly ’16 said.

Students request a site of their choice, and this year there are 19 sites to choose from. Activities at such sites range from organizing, sorting, and stocking food and clothes, to playing pool volleyball with retired seniors. Each job requires attentiveness and care, and that is why FWCD students are a perfect fit to volunteer at all of these sites.

The best thing about community service day is undoubtedly the gratifying feeling of serving people who are in need. The compliments and thank you’s from people at each site exemplify the very thing that makes this day so special. Nothing gives one a better internal feeling than putting smiles on people’s faces that maybe don’t have much to smile about.

Additionally, community service day is so well received by students, that students that miss out because of SPC competitions are deeply upset that they have to miss one of the best days of the school year. Despite their obvious excitement about competing in the competitions, they regret not being able to attend a site with friends to make a difference.

“I’m so excited to go to SPC this year with my soccer team, assuming we qualify, but I’m also so upset I have to miss community service day for the third year in a row. I really wish both events weren’t on the same day, so I could be there doing the amazing things my friends get to do,” Kristin Dickerson ’16 said.

Community Service Day is a day long awaited by FWCD students because they can never wait to get out in the community and help any organization in need. No matter the job at hand, everyone always takes tasks to heart and makes sure to do their best in order to better the Fort Worth community.