“The Crucible” Opened Thursday Night to Rave Reviews

Kai Jing Ng '17

The cast of “The Crucible” will perform Saturday and Sunday at 2:00 p.m. in the Scott Theatre.

Reena Alame, Reporter

On October 27 at 7:00 p.m. and October 29 and 30 at 2:00 p.m., FWCD theatre students will perform the fall play “The Crucible” by Arthur Miller in the Scott Theatre.

“The Crucible” is based on the Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts during the 1950s.

“I felt the importance of conveying this story with honesty and integrity because these characters lived and lost their lives during the Salem trials,” Natalie Bracken ‘05, ballet and theatre teacher, said. “The cast has done a beautiful job stepping up and portraying the complex characters in the show.”

Bracken is the director of the play and is helped by the assistant directors Catherine Cravens ‘18 and Karena Kett ‘17. Additionally, tech theatre teacher and theatre manager Mark Philpot is the scenic designer, MS art and theatre teacher Tricia Franks is responsible for costume design, and theatre director Melodee Halbach is the producer.

“I’m really looking forward to showing everyone the final result of all the hard work we have been putting into this show since the beginning of the school year,” Dana Guthrie ‘17, playing Elizabeth Proctor in the play, said.

For the first time, the theater department also scheduled a complete understudy performance, on Oct. 22.

Including understudies, the cast for “The Crucible” consists of 38 members: Solana Adedokun ‘20, Ainsley Bescher ‘20, Merrill Bumstead ‘20, Lucas Carlile ‘20, Stephanie Cook ‘20, Claire Barker ‘20, Claire Guthrie ‘20, Austin Holcomb ‘20, Ian Lee ‘20, Ashlin McCormack ‘20, Lily Melcher ‘20, Bailey Melton ‘20, Stephanie Morgan ‘20, Julia Petsche ‘20, Julia Atkinson ‘19, Bass Bumstead ‘19, Alexandra Galloway ‘19, Chloe Gilpin ‘19, Riley Hammett ‘19, Avery Pate ‘19, Abigail Shaffer ‘19, Joseph Westerman ‘19, Ben Bauman ‘18, Jackson Bennett ‘18, Kathleen Clum ‘18, Finn Connor ‘18, Catherine Cravens ‘18, Samuel DeRobertis ‘18, Kacey Melton ‘18, Lauren Newton ‘18, Harrison Sapienza ‘18, Salman Shah ‘18, Matthew Aufiero ‘17, Natalia Avila ‘17, Annie Beg ‘17, Dana Guthrie ‘17, Riley Hamburg ‘17, Annalee Kerrigan ‘17, and Karena Kett ‘17.