Falcon Quill

Super Bowl LII

The+brand+new+U.S.+Bank+Stadium+in+Minneapolis%2C+Minnesota+hosted+Super+Bowl+LII+on+February+4.++
Back to Article
Back to Article

Super Bowl LII

The brand new U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota hosted Super Bowl LII on February 4.

From Wikimedia Commons

From Wikimedia Commons

From Wikimedia Commons

Ozzie Fleischer, Reporter

The dynasty is over.

The Philadelphia Eagles defeated the New England Patriots 41-33 in dramatic fashion Sunday night in Super Bowl LII. It was an exciting game throughout, and it was the second highest scoring Super Bowl of all time, with 74 total points. It was also the most total yards in a Super Bowl game ever.

The New England Patriots played a solid game throughout; however, a few key mistakes lead to their defeat. Despite the loss, Brady had a very impressive game, going 28/48, 3 TDs, and 500 yards. He played a very clean game with no interceptions, until Brandon Graham came up huge for the Eagles with a forced fumble on Brady.

William Burnette ‘20, was pleased with the Patriots loss.

“When Graham forced that fumble, I was super happy to see the game pretty much wrapped up,” Burnette said.

On the rushing end for the Patriots, they had a pretty good game, with 113 total rushing yards. James White and Dion Lewis carried the bulk of the load with 84 combined yards. White recorded the teams only rushing TD as well.

On the flip side, the Patriot defense played an alright, but not great game, giving up 41 points. However, they did have the game’s only interception at the hands of Duron Harmon.

The Patriots valiant effort was not enough, as the Eagles came out on top.

The Eagles played a very solid game, led by backup QB Nick Foles. Capitalizing on New England miscues, Foles was able to pull off the improbable victory. Foles played a sound game, going 28/43 through the air, with 373 yards, 3 TDs, and 1 INT. Foles continued his impressive run, after showing out in an incredible game against the Vikings two weeks ago. On the ground, the Eagles pounded the ball pretty effectively. With 164 total yards and 1 TD, the ground game looked good.

Ben Parker ‘18, was one of the many fans who was pro-Eagles.

“It was time for the Patriots to lose. Tom needed this win to surpass Michael Jordan on the all time best athletes list. He failed. The reign is over,” Parker said.

The Eagles defense did not have a special game. However, they did win the game for the Eagles when it came down to crunch time. They gave up 33 points and a whole lot of yards. None of this matters though, because Brandon Graham saved the day. In the closing minutes, Brady dropped back for a pass, but he was stripped by Graham, and the Eagles followed up with the recovery.

This looked like the game, but the Pats defense forced a field goal, and gave Brady one last chance. Their effort came up short, with the Eagles batting away the final Hail Mary of the game. It was one of the most entertaining Super Bowls, and will be remembered in Philadelphia forever. This was their first Super Bowl victory, and it was a huge night for the city.

Brandon Graham, the defensive end for the Eagles, was incredibly happy for the win.

“I’m just thankful because we got a team that’s resilient, you know we gonna stick around for a long time,” Graham said on ESPN.

The dynasty is over, but will the Patriots be back? Brady is old for the sport, but even at 40 years old he shows no signs of slowing down, and they are going to be hungry for revenge come next year.