Chelsy Merrill Named New Fine Arts Director

Chelsy+Merrills+new+office+exemplifies+her+dedication+to+the+departments+programs.+

Anna Hooton

Chelsy Merrill’s new office exemplifies her dedication to the department’s programs.

Anna Hooton, Reporter

While Chelsy Merrill’s, FWCD Fine Arts Director, office is decorated with abstract art, it is also has a theme which reflects her fondness for rules. She keeps her papers bound together in piles on her desks and her pencils separated from her markers. Her books are neatly stacked against each other.

Her fondness of rules was inspired by her past experience in the Marine Band which has also prepared her for becoming FWCD’s new fine arts director.

Throughout her time in high school, Merrill was always involved in music and fine arts. After graduating, all Merrill wanted to do was play her saxophone. Therefore, she decided to major in music in the Marine band.

“I was band director for five years after playing in the Marine Band and I was stationed in New Orleans,” Merrill said.

Merrill adored her Marine lifestyle because she always had people to take care of her and, in turn, took care of others. She believes that joining the Marines gave her the time to think about the path she wanted her life to take.

Later on, Merrill went into administration in a public school after her years in the Marines. She was a middle school administrator for five years and later an Academic Dean for the high school level.

Another thing that has prepared Merrill for working at a school is being a mother and grandmother. She is adept at interacting with both parents and students.

“I think it’s important as a parent, I have two kids and also a grandchild. So I think whenever you’re in education, that’s probably a good thing to have as a past in your background,” Merrill said.

Merrill has enjoyed being apart of the school community and getting to know the students. She is excited for what the rest of the year holds.