Freshman Class Votes On New Honor Council Candidates

Lisa Wallace

Freshman candidates posing for a picture.

Audra Thomas, Reporter

Last Tuesday, September 7, the freshman class voted on their new Honor Council representatives. The two representatives elected will be added to the nine current members of the Council. Eight freshmen ran for representative including Mariel Brumley, Charles Portwood, Chappell Carter, Murphy Hoefer, Priscilla Lambis, Margaret Anderson, Aedan McCormack, and Alex Seiden. The two winners of the election were Chappell Carter and Charles Portwood. 

“I ran for the Honor Council because I wanted to do my part in upholding the Honor Code, as well as to simply be a part of the Council and learn how things like it function,” Carter said. 

Director of Honor Council Sara Teegarden said there are three parts to being a part of the Council.

“One is education, two is being someone that students can go to and ask questions. The third part is they listen to students who have potentially violated the Honor Code,” Teegarden said. 

The Honor Council was created in 1996 by a group of staff, including current Upper School history teacher Bill Arnold ‘86. The Honor Council has a very special place in the Fort Worth Country Day community. 

My favorite part of being on the Honor Council is the joint dedication of the Council members to the betterment of the Country Day community,” President of Honor Council Rob Batton ‘23 said. “I get to meet people where they stand and pick them up, help them brush the dust off their shoulders, and place them on a better path.”