For the Love of the Game

Davis Ryder is excited for the 2022 softball season.

Varsity Softball at 2021 Spring SPC Championship. Photo courtesy of DeAnn Hall.

Audra Thomas, Reporter

“Dinners with the team… leading the team to a victory… laughing with her coaches.”

These are some of the things that make softball special to Davis Ryder ‘22. 

Ryder is a senior at Fort Worth Country Day. Ryder joined the FWCD community in the sixth grade, after switching from a small Catholic school, Holy Family. Ryder used to play volleyball and soccer but is now involved in softball at Fort Worth Country Day. 

Ryder started playing softball at Country Day in seventh grade. She played throughout middle school and made the varsity team her freshman year. She plays either shortstop or third base. 

“I enjoy playing softball at FWCD because it is a fun, fast-paced game and teaches me leadership skills, as well as being able to connect and bond with girls that I usually don’t hang out with daily at school,” Ryder said.

Some of her favorite memories are laughing with her coaches, MS History Aaron Hoover and Assistant Coach Aimee Jenkins, and bonding with her teammates. She is looking forward to the team dinners with her friends this season. Her coaches love having her on the team, and she is seen as a leader for her teammates. 

“She is a selfless person; always putting others first whether they are her teammates or friends,” Softball Program Director DeAnn Hall said. “I’ve enjoyed working with her one-on-one in the off-season, as her work ethic is top-notch. She has made our season even more special than what it already was.”  

Ryder is also valued for her leadership skills and kindness towards the whole team. 

She leads by example and never complains about any task given to her,” teammate and friend Evelyn Richey ‘22 said. “She’s kind and accepting of everyone and always has their best interests in mind. Whether it’s reminding us to stay hydrated or adding a few encouraging words before someone’s up to bat, Davis, is always there for us. I honestly couldn’t think of anyone better to lead us this spring.”

Ryder is excited to play her final season of softball this spring. She has made lots of memories and friendships, as well as made an impact on the softball program at FWCD.