Girls Basketball Fights for their Winter Season

Lisa Wallace

Reagan Hall ’24 playing in the SPC tournament.

Lainey Liberto, Reporter

Girls basketball played their winter season with only five players. Each of them played the entire season for every 32 minute game. No subs. Every game. Just five girls. They stayed strong, and their work paid off with a bid to the SPC tournament. Although the team was small, their ambition was mighty. 

“The girls were here every day,” Shelly Rains, girls varsity basketball coach said. “They showed up, they were resilient, they showed integrity and loyalty to the program, and they just played.” 

The girls basketball roster included captain Liz Hazelton ‘22, Carden Kimball ‘24, Reagan Hall ‘24, Kylie Carter ‘24, Olivia Kersh ‘24, and their manager Xixi Hillman ‘22. Hazelton was the only senior on the team and enjoyed playing her senior season. 

Olivia Kersh ’24 rebounding Regan Hall’s ’24 shot. (Lisa Wallace)

“My last chance to play basketball as a Falcon reminded me never to take anything for granted and to always be grateful and appreciate every opportunity you have while you have it,” Hazelton said. “I hope that I set a good example for my teammates and wish the underclassmen good luck for their next two seasons and anything beyond.” 

The girls basketball team was determined and never gave up on their goals. The team played hard in every game. They were able to play, and were able to win multiple games. 

“One of the hopes we have for our students is that they leave FWCD with resilience and grit,” US history teacher Sara Teegarden said. “Grit goes to the character of an individual, the ability to show courage and strength in the face of obstacles. The ability to dig deep and find resolve when the struggle in doing so feels almost overwhelming. If there was one word I would use to describe this team, this group of athletes, it would be grit.” 

Varsity Girls Basketball having their team meeting in-between the quarters. (Lisa Wallace )

The team won six games, lost eight games, and qualified as the sixth seed in the SPC tournament. The girls played two games at SPC: one against Houston Kinkaid and the other against St. John’s. 

“My favorite part of the season was all of us working hard enough to get to SPC with only five people,” Carter said. “I think we all learned how to work better together. We also never gave up on each other and always supported each other.”