Coming to a Close: Wrestling Season is in the Books

Alex Doswell, Photo Editor

Over the weekend, the varsity wrestling team traveled down to Houston to compete in SPC at St. Johns School. The wrestling tournament was an individual tournament in which each wrestler competed in his own weight class for first place. Each wrestler’s individual score was added together for a team score as well. The teams were ranked from first to ninth based on how many points were scored.

The wrestling team this year was composed of eight seniors, a junior, a sophomore, and three freshmen. The team was strong and was expected to do well in SPC. As a result, the guys performed well individually, but not as strong as a team. The team ended up placing sixth overall. However, Brennan Woods ’17 placed fourth in the 113 pound weight class; Bo Totten ’14 in the 160 pound weight class, Erik Lopez in the 225 pound weight class, and John Calloway ’14 in the heavyweight class all placed third. Ben Sankary ’14 in the 152 pound weight class as well as Edward Hudson ’14 in the 138 pound weight class both placed second overall. Sankary, who placed third in the state-wide tournament a couple of weeks ago in Houston, will be heading to Pennsylvania next weekend to compete in nationals.

Overall, the wrestling season went incredibly well. By losing eight seniors, the team will suffer a great loss next year. If you are interested in wrestling next year, you will not be disappointed. Coach Murph and his assistant, Coach Ruben, create a hardworking yet fun environment that makes waking up on 6:00 a.m. on Saturdays worthwhile.