Breaking News
  • November 27Make Sure to Stay to the Left when Going to Lunch
  • November 15Frankie Leoni '26 Chosen as the Only Keyboard player in the TPSMEA Jazz Band!
  • November 15Sign Up for the Falcon Ivories Piano Club
  • November 152nd Graders @ the Ropes Course from 12:30-2:30 tmrw. Show up if you have E Period Free
  • November 15Check GroupMe for the Lunch Menu
  • November 15Volunteer Hours Available for the Planting of Daffodils
The student news site of Fort Worth Country Day

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Falcon Quill

Gamemaster Hannah Cheng 24 created a board using every assassins school photo to track targets and kills.
"He's Here To Kill You"
Marshall Lehman, Co-Editor in Chief • April 25, 2024
Daria Kasatkina participates in a post-match interview after defeating then teenager star Coco Gauff in the 2022 WTA Finals Group Stage.
More Than a Match
Benjamin Hoppe, Co-Editor in Chief • April 17, 2024
The annual Book Fair was pushed back due to the move to the Lower School Village, and students were ready to start reading.
Book Fair Bets to Inspire Readers
March 25, 2024
The Mardi Gras dance poster made by the student council.
Mardi Gras or Mardi Great?
March 9, 2024
"He's Here To Kill You"
April 25, 2024
Canaan and Sloane Factor 26 enjoying lollipops and mohawks together.
Spilling the Facts about the Fraternal Factors
April 5, 2024
Olivia Rodrigo sings her hit single, Vampire for the Dallas crowd.
Listening to the "Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl"
April 12, 2024
A typical stage set for The Play that Goes Wrong.
Announced: 2024-2025 Play and Musical
April 9, 2024
The Atlanta Braves vs. the Chicago Cubs on September 26, 2023. Photo by Caroline Carmichael 24.
Take Me Out to the Ball Game
March 28, 2024
The Match
The Match
March 21, 2024
More Than a Match
April 17, 2024
Lewis Hamilton battles for position over future teammate Charles Leclerc at Silverstone in 2022. This was before Hamilton made his announcement of the switch in the 2023 offseason.
Hamilton Flips to Ferrari Red While Horner's Home at Red Bull is Put in Jeopardy
April 6, 2024
Support Us
$110
$1000
Contributed
Our Goal

This donation will support the student journalists of Fort Worth Country Day. Your contribution will allow us to flourish as aspiring writers, as well as fund our equipment, hosting, and printing costs. - Note that this donation is not tax deductible.

The College Counseling Family Adds a New Member

Getting to know Jordie Kavanaugh a little better.
maya
Mrs. Kavanaugh enjoying her day at FWCD.

Jordan Kavanaugh can be found sitting behind the desk in the college counseling office, usually talking to students about their future plans, or helping out seniors with their applications and essays.

Usually, Kavanaugh is surrounded by college banners and the nervousness of seniors trying to decide where to apply, but she hasn’t always worked in this environment. 

“I was a college counselor in Dallas, for several years, at Hillcrest High School, and I also taught AP English,” Kavanaugh said. 

Before becoming a college-counselor-associate, she could be found all around high schools talking about the University of Mississippi, her alma mater. 

The University of Mississippi, although not being her first choice, was a found oasis for Kavanaugh where she majored in journalism and minored in art history.

“Loved my time there; it was a school that I wasn’t even considering and never heard of,” Kavanaugh said.

Ole Miss is also where Kavanaugh found out she wanted to work with students and their college careers. While working as an orientation leader, Kavanaugh was moved by how people’s perception of Ole Miss could be influenced by her guidance, which inspired her career path.

She found her new home at Fort Worth Country Day when her long-time friend, also a college counselor, Sarah Casarez, told her that a new position had been available in the school. 

“Country Day has always been the goal. I remember coming here years ago, and being just blown away by how polite and respectful and curious the students were and how nice the staff was,” Kavanaugh said.

Casarez and Kavanaugh met through mutual friends and have remained friends for the last decade. Their upbeat personalities and moral compasses have made them remain close throughout their friendship.

“When you find that person who understands what it means to work in education, and values education, and who enjoys working with students, you find that you have a lot of the same values and interests,” Casarez said.

Since Kavanaugh was the one to recommend Casarez for a job years ago, it is nice to see their story come to a full circle.

Kavanaugh is also a mother of two dachshunds, and one human daughter, who is 15 months old. She is married to her husband whom she met on a dating app. Once settled into her career, Kavanaugh found time to invest in her personal life and that led her to meet the love of her life, her husband.

“We met on a dating app […] We met on Hinge and I was a teacher at the time and I had spring break off, and I thought, ‘I have nothing to do, I’m going to line up dates and see what happens,’” Kavanaugh said.

When Kavanaugh is not working, she can usually be found reading a thriller mystery or a historical fiction novel, which are two of her favorite genres. 

She has been reading since a young girl, and has found it to be the most fun way to spend her time.

During the summer months, Kavanaugh enjoys concerts and camping, and she usually takes those trips with her husband. On the topic of trips, she has a strong desire to travel and would love to see countries like Rome and Japan, where she can appreciate the art and eat sushi. 

Literature is a big part of Kavanaugh’s life and she loves to write as well. She offers to proofread essays of seniors and has great advice on how to write in general.

“I love to read and love to write,” Kavanaugh said.

So if you have any questions on where to apply and how to write a college essay, or you’re just looking to discuss a good book and find a good recommendation for your next read, the college counseling office in the right back corner of the commons is the place for you.